My name is Sue Apito. My interest in Aromatherapy started while I was working at a holistic health care center. I left that job in order to study Aromatherapy and launch a line of beeswax and essential oil candles. I designed and commissioned bowls from a local potter, embossed with a maple leaf using a stamp I handcrafted in clay, from a scan of a real leaf.
I had no idea what I was doing, and the candles were so expensive to produce that I never sold a single one!
But, while I was trying to launch this business, I learned how to design websites in order to sell my candles online. In 1997, I went to the Synergia Aromatherapy Conference in Boston, where I met people from the aromatherapy community. I continued to study and network online. I went to ExTracts®, which is part of the New York International Gift Fair and that buying trip changed my career! I met Jeanne Rose and others in the aromatherapy, soap and natural personal care products industry. I started designing websites and working as a sales rep. One of my favorite experiences was attending a Distillation Workshop Weekend on Martha’s Vineyard, taught by Jeanne Rose.
- Late 90’s – CONNECTICUT CENTER FOR HOLISTIC HEALTH: Office Manager
- 1996 – Aromatherapy: began self-study
- 1997 – Synergia Aromatherapy Conference, Boston MA: attendee
- 2001 – Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild: webmaster
- 2001 – Aromatic Plant Project: webmaster; Media Director, Board
- 2002 – Handcrafted Soap Makers Guild: VP; Secretary/Treasurer
- 2002 – Botanical Elements Trade Association: founder/owner
- 2003 – National Association for Holistic Aromatherapy: Director, CT
- 2004 – Natural Ingredient Resource Center: founder/owner
- 2004 – The Herb Quarterly magazine: advertising sales
- 2012 – expose on Neal’s Yard Remedies false “no petrochemicals” claim [Letter]
- 2013 – Aromatherapy United: founding member [former webmaster, 2015]
- 2013 – in November, I joined NYR Organic as an independent consultant
- 2014 – American Essential Oil Trade Association: founder [defunct]
- 2015 – resume aromatherapy/herbal studies; writing/blogging
- 2016 – continue herbal studies; writing/blogging; consumer advocacy work
- 2017 – resigned as independent consultant for NYR Organic
I am a licensed Real Estate Agent in Glastonbury, CT. In 2013, my interest in Aromatherapy was renewed when I started to research “scent staging” for homes. I was thrilled to reconnect with old friends from my past, thanks to Facebook! I was a founding member and the former webmaster of Aromatherapy United, which grew out of a grassroots campaign which successfully filed a complaint with the FDA & FTC against companies making illegal and dangerous medical claims for essential oils and aromatherapy products.
I also do business as Eastbury Design, designing websites for local artists and for my real estate clients, as well as selling domain name registrations and web hosting plans!
I run the Essential Aromatherapy Facebook Group where I network with others who share the same interests in aromatherapy and herbs.